Sunday, October 15, 2006

Going Away

Two weeks off. Won't be going back to work until after Eid. It wasn't easy but my work requires concentration & a clear mind. With my recent sleeping problems I found I couldn't cope. Even my manager took one look at my face & signed my leave. He just told me not to switch off my cell. That I can handle I guess.

Seems a shame to waste a week of my annual leave sitting at home doing nothing. My husband is so overwhelmed at work he's even operating on weekends. We're going away for Eid but I was in the mood to go spend a couple of days in Dubai. I had visions of a luxurious hotel room, days spent at the spa being pampered & late-night slumber parties with the girls. Just for old times sake. A couple of girls I know are going.

But when I told my husband, he acted like I was trying to say I was leaving him or something. I don't get it. What's wrong with going on a trip with my girlfriends? It's not like he has time for me these days anyway. Why does he want me sitting home by myself?

He pointed out that if he wanted to go away with his friends I'd freak. Which I thought was a really low blow. I would freak - not because am opposed to the principle - but because I think his friends are bums. My friends are nothing like his. I pointed out that he has been on two trips with them - one to Sweden & one a local camping trip. He said that the trip to Sweden was to take his exam. They just happened to come along. And that when he went on the second trip, we weren't married yet so he couldn't take me with him or he would have. He said that we're married & when we go away on holiday we should be together. Then he said something to the effect that he really doesn't feel we've been married long enough for me to be a needing a break from the marriage etc........

I let it drop at that point. Didn't have the energy. And I don't want to go if it means I have to pay for it later by having him go off on extended trips with those guys.

Was just speaking to my father & he said why don't I come out to see them?If I can get a reservation, the idea is starting to look good. I would enjoy the last few days of Ramadan in Casa. Ramadan has a completely different flavor there. And I figure K can't very well complain if I want to go home. A week in Casa. Then I can fly out to meet him in Crete - our Eid destination. Morocco to Greece is not that long a flight. Just across the Mediterranean right?

Let's just hope the travel agent can make the connections work. I'll try to fly out tomorrow.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger programmer craig said...

Hi LouLou,

But when I told my husband, he acted like I was trying to say I was leaving him or something. I don't get it. What's wrong with going on a trip with my girlfriends? It's not like he has time for me these days anyway.

I think you answered your own question... if I was him and there was some difficulty (such as you have descibed previously and also just there in that paragraph) I would probably feel you were displaying your unhappiness with me too. Be careful, louLou. You may end up on creating more distance between you and him, instead of less!

10/16/2006 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger 2B || ! 2B ® said...

enjoy ur trip and get well soooooon :)

10/16/2006 04:29:00 AM  
Blogger programmer craig said...

Yes, enjoy your trip! Relax and come home happy, I'm sure your hubby will be happy then too! Sorry for focussing on the negative :)

10/16/2006 05:47:00 AM  
Blogger Alina said...

Enjoy the time off, Lou! Hope you get all the arrangements you need to also have the trip to Morocco!

10/16/2006 11:39:00 AM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Craig,

Displaying my unhappiness with him?If and when I am unhappy with him I always say so. At great length. Am nothing if not a nag.:)

Am not unhappy with him at all. Quite the contrary. It's just that he's very busy & I am home on leave. While I do understand his work commitments, that was a bit boring and lonely for me. Then my friends invited me to go on a trip that sounded relaxing & fun at a time when I was very stressed. From my perspective he was just being difficult. There's no way I could have predicted that he would read so much into something so simple and straightforward.

I guess men really are from Mars. And they say WE complicate things!

Thanks everyone for wishing me well. I'm leaving in about an hour. Probably won't be blogging much until after Eid. So I'll wish you all a happy Eid in advance.:)

10/16/2006 11:47:00 PM  
Blogger Sou said...

Loulou dear hope things work out and you take a break. You really seem like you need one.
Take care.

10/18/2006 11:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home