Monday, June 19, 2006

His Mother: 3amil eh ma3aki elwad da? (How is this boy doing with you?)

Me (smiling at hearing him called that): El7amdullilah(Thank God (fine))

His Mother: El7amdullilah dayman ya binti bas ana 3ayza atamin 3laikum(Thank God always love but I want to be sure you two are fine together)Eh howa mza3alik(Has he been upsetting you)?

Him: Tab ishma3na ana ba2a ma7adish biysa'alni hiya 3amla eh ma3aya(How come no one asks me how she's doing with me?)?Mish yimkin hiya illy mza3alani?(Maybe she's been upsetting me?)

His Mother: Winta btitkalim leh min ghair ma 7ad yisa'alak?(Why are you talking if no one asked you?)

Him: Allah, Allah. Eh da?(What is this?) Howa inti 7amat-ha wala omaha?(Are you her mother or her mother-in-law) Di omaha ma bti3milshi fiya kida(Even her mother never gave me such a hard time).

His Mother: Ana 7amatak inta.(I am YOUR mother-in-law). Di binti.(She's my daughter now) Elbint mish 3agbani(The girl doesn't look good). Khasa kida wi wishaha makhtoof(She lost weight & she is pale). Di kanit zay elwarda elmifata7a ayam elfara7.(She was like a fresh flower during the wedding)

I had to give her a hug here. That was so sweet.

Him: Wana ya3ni illy mdabilha?(And I made her wilt?) Mahi a3da odamik ahi zay el7osan wi mish bitbatal di7k(She's sitting infront of you in perfect health & she can't stop laughing.).

Was cracking up too much to say anything at this point.

His Mother: Seebik minu wi kalimeeni ana ya 7abibti(Don't mind him. You tell me sweetie). Howa biytnarfiz 3laiki?(Does he lose his temper with you?)

Me: La narfaza howa ma yitnarfaz elsara7a ya3ni.(No to be honest he doesn't lose his temper much)

His Mother: Yib2a biy2fish wi yiwadi wishu elna7iya eltaniya wi yib2a mish 3ayiz 7ad yikalimu mish kida?(But he goes into bad moods & broods & doesn't want anyone to talk to him right?)

Me: Aiwa ta3ibni bilkhisam(Yes he's giving me a hard time that way) Kteer yidala3(He loves to be pampered/grovelled at).

His Mother(glaring at him): Ma ana 3arfah(Yes I know him). Inti hat2oolili. Ma yit3ibkeesh leh da tool 3omro wagi3 albi ma3ah(Of course he's giving you a hard time. He gave me a hard time all his life). Biyb2a nikadi bshakl wi albu iswid.(He can be so unpleasant)

Him: Salamit albak ya gameel. Howa ana a2dar? Da inti sitt elkol.(Basically he's trying to sweettalk his Mom here. Not sure how to translate all that.)

His Mother(to him): Inta ma 3andaksh dam?(Have you no shame?) Ba2a elbint sayba ahlaha wi mitgharaba 3ashanak timarmat-ha ma3ak bilshakli da?(The girl leaves her family to live abroad with you & you do this to her?) Inta eh? Ma 3andaksh ikhwat banat? (Don't you have sisters?)Fahim ini banat elnas li3ba?(Do you think people's daughters are toys?)

Him: Tab mana kaman sayeb ahli wi mitgharab ma3aha.(I am leaving my family to live abroad with her too! ) Ba3dain amarmat meen howa ana 3arif akalimha(And who said I give her a hard time?I can't even say anything to her)? Di maya min ta7t tibn.(Not sure what that means) Mish 3ashan a3da odamik sakta yib2a malhash sot.(Don't think that because she's sitting there all quiet infront of you it means she has no voice.)

His Mother: Howa ana tayha 3anak?(You think I don't know you?) Ibni wana 3arfak(You're my son). 3ayez eh?(What more do you want?) Elbint bismallah allahu akbar 2mar wi zay elnisma(The girl is beautiful & gentle like a breeze). Di tit7at 3algar7 yibrad.

Him: Yibrad eh bas yamma? Di tit7at 3algar7 yiwla3 isa'aleeni ana

His Mother: Ya wad ikhtishi

Him: 7adir

His Mother (In a threatening tone): Hatkhali balak min baitak wi mratak wala eh?(Are you gonna take better care of your wife & your marriage or what?)

Him: Di fi 3naya (I am taking care of her)

His Mother: Fi 3naik mish kifaya. Inta t7utaha 3ala rasak min fo2.(She wants him to take care of me more)

Him: Yasalam.Tab wihiya?(What about her?)

His Mother: Malaksh da3wa beeha hiya. Inta ti3mil illy ba2oolak 3laih hatla2eeha hiya kaman 7atak fi 3naiha.(You just do as I say & she will take care of you too)

Him: 7adir. Amma nshoof akhrit-ha.(Yes we'll see the end of this).

I love it! Have never seen him say 7adir(Yes) as often as he does with his mother. It's so cute the way she scolds him & he has to take it. He was like a naughty 6-yr-old.:)

It's especially funny because during an argument last week I remember saying to him 'ana qultlak la tsawi.....'(I told you not to do something) & he got so angry at me. He said that was disrespectful to talk to him like that. And he said 'ana ommi illy khalifitni ma ti2darsh ti2ooli ana mish oultilak'(My own mother can't talk to me like that). I was so puzzled. Just didn't get that. What's so insulting about reminding him of something I told him before?

Well now I know how his mother can & does talk to him! He can't give me that macho act anymore. Am so glad she was on my side this time though. She arrived today & ever since she came she's been giving me concerned glances & asking if am ok. It seems I really do look like a concentration camp survivor. Very sweet of her to be concerned. Now I feel bad that I didn't like her at first.

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Wawa said...

wow, you realy have got a sweet mother-in-law,I wish 7amaty was the same, she never ever scolds her son for me, in fact, we r on the verge of divorce now, because of something connected to her, and still, she doesn't even try to make any sort of reconciliation between us. rabena ye7'alehalkom.and it sure is a great thing to watch your husband byet2adeb and yet not being able to open his mouth and say anything,heheee...

6/19/2006 11:05:00 PM  
Blogger Alluring said...

Why do I find it difficult reading your arabic? :(

especially this:
"ana qultlak la tsawi....."
I get "ana" !

6/19/2006 11:14:00 PM  
Blogger Just Jane said...

What a wonderful mother-in-law! You just tell her that your son is denying you the chance to give her grandchildren and that is why you look so sad. Then we'll see what happens...Sorry. I shouldn't be trying to stir up trouble. But still, she sounds like a pistol!

6/19/2006 11:33:00 PM  
Blogger Twosret said...

That is sweet and lovely. She sounds like a very nice lady.

Wawa, focus on your marriage and don't let your in-laws take over :)

6/20/2006 01:23:00 AM  
Blogger Safiya Outlines said...

Masha Allah, what a lovely lady to have in your life. Be thankful for such a blessing.

Maybe she can cook lots of yummy food to feed you up again.

6/20/2006 01:43:00 AM  
Blogger Leilouta said...

alluring,
"ana qultlak la tsawi."
I heard that Morrocan,Tunisian, and Algerian dialects are really hard to understand, is that true?
qutlak= I told you

6/20/2006 07:31:00 AM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Thanks Leilouta.:)

Wawa,

Sorry to hear you're having problems. Am probably the wrong person to be giving marital advice. So I will just pray for you.

Jane,

Yes you should stop stirring up trouble! Don't give me ideas.:)

Safiya/Twosret,

Yes isn't she adorable?

6/20/2006 09:15:00 AM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

you're very lucky to have a mother-in-law like this.

6/20/2006 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger Puppy said...

Yes your mother in law is really adorable and sweet

I caught myself smiling while reading it.

Alluring,

You are not the only one who finds reading her Arabic difficult)) soon I will start posting my comments in Azeri ;) That would be fun 

All the best to everyone
Puppy.

6/20/2006 11:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ur so lucky ...i dont think u know how lucky u r
to have an "Egyptian mother in law" like the one u have
coz its so hard find 7ama like her in Egypt:(

i kina ba7ked 3aleiky :p

i wish my mother in law was like that

6/20/2006 01:25:00 PM  
Blogger Puppy said...

To All,

I see that most of you are interested in horoscopes, including you Loulou.

I would like to share one interesting thing with you all. Its a site about horoscope signs. I know there is tons of it on the net, but this one http://www.shayaweaver.com/mains/ast.htm i have checked somehow on myself, and on people close to me, especially the part related to Personality Descriptions. Most of them told me that description about their signs seems to be true and close to who they are.

So go ahead and read if you are interested.


Have Fun,

Puppy.

PS. I am not the person who created that site so I take away any responsibility of what is written there :)

6/20/2006 05:20:00 PM  
Blogger Alluring said...

Thanks Lielouta.

To answer your question, I would assume so, I hear the morrocon and tunisian and algerian are pretty difficult to understand.
The only arabic i understand is egyptian, and I assumed loulou is egyptian.

oh well, my bad.

6/21/2006 01:03:00 AM  
Blogger LouLou said...

ATC,

7amdilla 3ala slamtik. How was Beirut?

Sorry for keeping you up all night.:)

Puppy,

So you are my visitor from Azerbeijan. I have been wondering!
Since you mention I'd love to know a few words of Azeri. You're the first Azeri I ever met.

Thanks for the horoscope tip. Yes I am interested.

bosbos,

Well I have a sister-in-law who is a witch. And we see her a lot more than we see her mother. Which reminds me maybe I should complain to my mother-in-law about her daughter too.:)

But why do you say Egyptian mother-in-law?Is there something special about Egyptian mothers-in-law?

Alluring,

My Dad is half Moroccan half French. My Mom is half Algerian half Tunisian. But I never lived in any of those countries. I grew up in Abu Dhabi.

My husband is a Scandinavian of Egyptian origin. We met in Abu Dhabi, got married in Morocco & now we live in Abu Dhabi. Isn't it a small world?

I feel sorry for our future kids if we ever have them. They're going to have the mother of all identity crises.:)

Yassie,

Glad you enjoyed it.:)

6/21/2006 09:55:00 AM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

My mother-in-law is Egyptian! Yes... I think there's something about Egyptians.... especially MILs!! Am I the only one??

6/21/2006 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Puppy said...

LouLou,

Yes I am the one from Azerbaijan :) The thing is it shows Azerbaijan when I am logging from my home computer, and when I am logging from work it shows UK, maybe its because I am working in British company and we are connected to UK server or whatever, I am not that much IT person if to be honest :)

Azeri Language is part of Turkish family languages. So if you know Turkish, u can understand Azeri and vise versa. Its quite a good thing which makes me know an extra language without making any efforts :) There are a lot of words in Azeri are taken from Arabic, so if someone will talk in Arabic I might catch 2-3 words out of conversation, but still will not get the point of the whole conversation. The letters are almost like in English (latin type of letters) so u can see and read the translation from the following site http://www.polyglot.az/ Vocabulary range is not that full, but better than nothing :)
After u wrote the word in a field for translation please press the red button its says “translate” in Azeri. I know its obvious, said just to make sure. Blue button says “to look in context”

Good luck with Azeri :)


Puppy.

6/21/2006 10:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SURE there is something special about Egyptian mothers in-law...didn't u see any of mary mounib's movies :D

Well to be honest not all of them some of them r as sweet as ur mother in-law but
but also some of them love there sons sooooo much that when they get married they feel that there daughters in-law r gonna steel there sons away from them so they start hating them with no reason

6/21/2006 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

Miah men ta7t tebn= someone you shouldn't judge by appearnce, because her appearnce is deceiptive. Wiley. Sneaky. Too smart to be seized up at first glance!

6/21/2006 05:30:00 PM  
Blogger Shams said...

"ana qultlak la tsawi....."

qultlak, from 8ullak, from 8ultu lak.

tsawi, from verb yusawee.

there is no way it is hard. It is almost standard arabic.

6/21/2006 09:16:00 PM  
Blogger Shams said...

8ullak=8ultlak*

6/21/2006 09:17:00 PM  
Blogger LouLou said...

SM,

So he was calling me wily & deceptive?What a jerk!No wonder he wouldn't tell me what it means when I asked him!

6/22/2006 11:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home