Saturday, July 22, 2006

The War

I never thought that anything would make me feel I want to quit blogging. But lately everytime I come to my blog, I find myself going through my blogroll, reading what other people say about Lebanon. And then I don't feel like saying anything at all.

It could be the overdose of it. I do live in the Middle East after all. And Lebanon is what everyone is talking about these days. Because it's on the news and also because everyone seems to be either Lebanese or they have family in Lebanon or they know someone who is there now. It is summertime. Who stays in the Gulf in summer?So lots of talk about who got out, who is getting out, who is in Syria stuck & can't get a reservation back, who was going to Lebanon but cancelled, who has investments in Lebanon, who was going to invest but changed their mind etc....It never ends.

There are even people who have already started talking about reconstruction, about business opportunities etc...War is and has always been a business - in addition to everything else that war is. And then of course the streets are full of big boards with images of broken bodies & destruction & calls to donate & help the victims. You see the same images in the newspapers, on TV, everywhere.

Then there is all the emotion and politics of it. The anger, the calls for revenge. The grief - for those who are touched by this in ways that I am not. Sometimes I start asking myself if anything could ever make me like that. I've never actually known those feelings, that kind of hate. I've never wanted or needed another person's death. Never. So I look at expressions of such emotions the way I look at someone who has a repulsive terminal sickness. You feel sympathy for them but at the same time you're glad it isn't you. And you're scared that you might someday catch it.

I am so sick of it. I know I have no right to say that because I am one of the lucky people on this earth who have never experienced war or hate & violence on that scale. I've always lived in peace. So who am I to say am tired of it? And if I am so awfully tired of watching from a distance how can others bear to live through it - again and again?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Just Jane said...

I understand your sentiment. I've been fortunate enough to never know war. I am disgusted by the brutalness along with the business aspect of it. Sometimes we are such savage creatures.

7/22/2006 11:01:00 PM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

i was in beirut last july and it's very sad to see what is happening there, but, like you, i'm sick of it.

ppl talk about revenge but what will revenge and hate do? it will never bring peace... but is peace even possible.

i don't understand the ppl that are already talking about the business aspect of it... to me, that is sick.

7/23/2006 09:54:00 AM  
Blogger Shams said...

Actually what it is killing me, is that i feel it is just another war!
All the violence that is happening in the middle east is in the process of normalization!

I do not want to feel that way, but then again Hizballah can end this violence and succumb to power politics after all Israel is not occupying Lebanon, or on the other side, Hizbalah can resist and do its thing!

I think we all sick and tired of wars and want an end to all wars and be productive human beings.......

7/23/2006 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Herlock Sholmes said...

War is a nation builder

7/23/2006 02:52:00 PM  
Blogger Cliche~ said...

ah now it is the hot topic.....just give it some time and it will become all "normal"

7/24/2006 01:53:00 PM  
Blogger Wonderer said...

I am praying God that this war comes to an end without more damages. The damages that have already happened are more than enough.
Rabina youstor.

7/25/2006 03:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home