Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Motorbike

My husband's birthday is coming up on the 23rd. He's going to be 32. Haven't decided what am going to get him yet. But he's decided what he's going to get himself.

Me: A motorbike?Another one? Then what did you sell it for?
Him: I sold it because having it shipped over would have been too much trouble. Easier to buy one over here. Besides it was getting kind of old.
Me: I really thought you were done with all that.
Him: Done with what?
Me: This biker stuff. Isn't it a bit adolescent?
Him: I take it you disapprove?
Me: Does it matter?
Him: I don't like it when you disapprove of me.
Me: I don't like it when you disapprove of me either.
Him: Great. Then let's agree not to disapprove.
Me: You'll never keep that up. You disapprove of me all the time.
Him: I do not.
Me: Yes you do.
Him: Not all the time. Only when you worry me.
Me: Well you worry me when you say you're going to buy a motorbike.
Him: Why?
Me: They're dangerous.
Him: Cars are dangerous. Planes are dangerous. Hell, life is dangerous.
Me: No, this is different. I'm going to be terrified all the time knowing you're on a motorbike. They scare me.
Him: Ya 7abibti inti everything scares you.
Me: So you want to make it worse for me?
Him: No I want you to get over it.
Me: Please don't.
Him: Are you serious?I've been driving those things all my life. And I never had any problem. They're vehicles. You just have to know what you're doing.
Me: You drove one in Sweden. It's different here.
Him: Yeah the weather is much better here. Less snow on the roads.
Me: No wonder you don't want to have kids. What kind of family man drives a motorbike?
Him: Howa ana kol ma akalimik hat2ooleeli kids?
(Everytime I talk to you you tell me kids)
Me: It's not about kids wallah. I just really don't want you to. I just have a bad feeling about this.
Him: Going psychic on me? Ya sitti ela3mar biyadillah.
(Not sure how to translate that. Basically it means Allah decides when you should die so it doesn't matter how dangerously you live. An Islamic premise)
Me: Don't say that. It's not funny.
Him: Mumkin tihdi?(Can you calm down)
Me: Are you going to do it?
Him: Yes.
Me: Fine. Then don't tell me ihdi. Ana 7urra feeha a3sabi.
(I can do what I want with my nerves)
Him: You're not being very convincing.
Me: You didn't tell me to be convinced. Your mind is made up. So don't try to make it sound like it was my fault I didn't convince you. I don't know why you bothered to tell me aslan.
Him: Akhabi 3laiki ya3ni? Mayisa7ish bardu inti mrati tibi'i akhir man ya3lam.
(Did you want me to hide it from you?That would be wrong - that my wife should be the last to know)
Me: Katar allah khairak.
(Thank you.)
Him: Can I suggest we drop this for now?
Me: Whatever.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger GC said...

He seems to be passionate about it, so I think you should support him in doing what he loves. Otherwise, it will create a feeling of resentment inside of him.

4/05/2006 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger Forsoothsayer said...

dude motorcycles ARE more dangerous than cars and planes. try and dissuade him.
also, why are u so keen on having children? they're gonna screw up ur life for sure. and ur figure. have fun shwaya, u just got married and have destinations to travel do and spontaneous sex to have!

4/05/2006 09:58:00 PM  
Blogger Alina said...

Sorry, Lou, can't agree with you on this one...Love bikes too much! :D But I do understand your being worried!

4/05/2006 10:45:00 PM  
Blogger MoonLightShadow said...

Umm.. let me tell you this, my father up till now drives a motorbike.. I guess no problem in a family man driving a motrobike, since it's something he has a passion for. And let me tell you this, both my father and brother drive a motorbike in Cairo, I guess you can imagine how traffic is going here.

Try not to be worried, and isA nothing will happen.

4/05/2006 11:19:00 PM  
Blogger programmer craig said...

I don't have a good feeling about motorcycles... the safety stats ARE bad. And in my personal experience, my father broke his arm in a motorcycle accident when I was a kid and I got a nasty gash on my head rding a motorcycle when I was teenager.

But, I think if you cannot change his mind you should be supportive of him. Otherwise it's going to be a cause for resentment.

If he's really set on doing this, the more you try and talk him out of it, the more he's likely to decide and do it anyway. That is, if he's anywhere near as stubborn as I am :)

4/06/2006 12:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u have all the right to be worried ya loulou if i were u i would be scared to death bas try not to fight about it so he doesn't get more stubborn about it
discuss it calmly and try to show him ur point

it seems that i missed something.. i wonder why doesn't he want both of u to have a child?

4/06/2006 01:32:00 PM  
Blogger Cliche~ said...

hehe.. i bet u he wont even have time to ride it...

i bet u its just a thought.. n the fact that u ve opposed is now making him want it more..:)

just leave it keda dont talk about it anymore and see what he does...

4/06/2006 07:33:00 PM  
Blogger Wonderer said...

besara7a ya loulou, I dreamt of having a husband who knows how to drive a motorcycle:) It was my dream to ride one, but unfortunately my husband can't.
Take it easy on yourself dear, isa nothing will happen. You said he has been driving for quite a long time, that makes him a professional I guess:)

4/07/2006 02:33:00 AM  
Blogger Libyan Violet said...

Loulou I have this fantasy about riding a motorbike wearing my leather gear and the driver is handsome and strong and I'm looking inredibly sexy with my hair flowing in the wind....now I'm thinking I would probably be looking incredibly silly screaming all the way ....:) for my idea type of men check your other post :) So don't worry and let K have his fantasies he will love that..actually you can ask him if he wants to share it with you that's why he told you about it in the first place ...hint hint

4/07/2006 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Guys,

Thanks for your comments.

Yes I used to think bikers were cool when I saw them in the movies too. It's just different when it's someone close to you & you constantly have to worry if they're late because they were thrown off their bike & their back is broken.

I don't complain when I see videos of his camping trips with the guys & they decided to go sky-diving in Umm AlQuwain or whatever. It worries me that their idea of fun is falling out of the sky with their lives depending on a parachute which may or may not work but I tell myself ok how often can he make it to Umm AlQuwain? Not very. He doesn't have the time. It's something rare so I can live with it.

But to actually own a motorbike & drive it all the time?

As for being supportive does that mean I can't nag? Or develop a dislike of his male friends whose influence is what I think is behind all these dangerous hobbies?

Sherine,

"they're gonna screw up ur life for sure. and ur figure. have fun shwaya, u just got married and have destinations to travel do and spontaneous sex to have!"

You sound exactly like him.:)

Hi bosbos,

"it seems that i missed something.. i wonder why doesn't he want both of u to have a child?"

He does want children. But he thinks we just got married & it's too soon. That's what you find me nagging about.

4/07/2006 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Hi Jim,


I'll try to resist both urges. Let's hope am strong enough.

Btw Welcome.:)

4/10/2006 10:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home