Tuesday, January 09, 2007

3:30 AM

Him: Bardo mish gaylik nom?(Still can't sleep?)

I jumped. He scared me to death. I didn't hear him come up behind me.

Me : Bismallah AlRa7man AlRa7im. Sa7i inta?(Are you awake?)
Him: Mana wa2if odamik. (I'm standing infront of you.)
Me : Am sorry. I didn't mean to wake you.
Him: Well you should try sitting still then. You might even get some sleep.
Me : Am sorry.
Him: Feel like going out?

Exactly what I was dying to do.

Me(gratefully): Yes
Him: Bas inti illy tsoo2i(But you drive). Ana mish shayef odami.(I can hardly see)
Me : 7abibi law ta3ban balash.(Baby, if you're tired it's ok.)
Him: No it's ok.
Me : And you'll be fine at work?
Him: Ana gamid gidan.(I'm very tough.)
Me : And if you kill someone in OR tomorrow? What will you tell people?

He starts singing 'Lailt imbari7 magaleesh nom'('Last Night I Could Not Sleep'. Old Arabic love song). I had to laugh because he really sounded like a drunk.

Me : That's what you're going to say?
Him: Ma takhdeesh fi balik(Don't worry.). Ana bas mhayis min 2ilit elnom.(I have no idea what that means.)
Me : Mhayes?What's mhayes?(Expressing my confusion with his slang.)
Him: Ya3ni mhartil.(He tries to explain.)
Me : Great. And mhartil means what?(Fails miserably.)
Him: Can't you speak Arabic?
Me : Wallah I thought so until I met you ya3ni. Everyday I hear at least one word I never heard before. I should start taking notes.
Him: Good idea. But not now. Go change. Let's get out of here.
Me(looking at his shorts & vest) : And you? You're going out like that? Won't you get cold?
Him: Cold? 7abibti, I was born in Scandinavia. 3ayzani abrad hina? (You want me to feel cold here?)

Good point.

We had a minor debate about my choice of outerwear(jeans & a sweater). He wanted me in something thicker. I pointed out that we'll be in the car & given the fact that he was half-naked, he shouldn't talk. And he reminded me that am always cold.

True.I do get cold a lot if am sitting still. And it's true that he doesn't. His hands are always so warm - which gives me another very practical reason for wanting to hold his hands. Mine are always freezing.

I pulled on a scarf for extra warmth & then we were on our way in my new car. I figured the Corniche thing was getting a bit old. So I drove on Meena Road - towards the harbour. Late at night. Streets empty. New car. So I could drive as fast as I wanted. That's always great therapy for me. I felt lighter almost instantly.

We were talking & listening to music. He asked if I had a cigarette. Shock. I'd never seen him smoke a cigarette before. I said am sorry I didn't.

A couple of minutes later, he stopped responding to me. I looked at him. He was asleep. My poor baby. The things I put him through. Does he really think he's protecting me? It was strange to think that he was perfectly happy with me being on the streets at 4:00am if he's with me - even if he's asleep.

I pulled over & lowered the back of his seat as gently as possible. And I used my scarf to cover him.

He never stirred.

Kept driving along for a while. When I'd had enough of the harbour area, I drove us back to the City Center, through Khaldiya. On impulse, I decided to stop by the 24-hr Khaldiya Co-op for cigarettes. I didn't know what brand to get him so I just got a pack of mine. Or the brand that used to be mine.

When I tried to get back into the car, I couldn't do it quietly enough. He woke up & looked at me. I opened the pack, took out a cigarette & lit it. Then I handed it to him. He was frowning at me, looking very confused. Then his brow cleared:

Him: Inti btinzili 3ashan tigeebili ana cagayer?Bit-haragi wallahi.(You stopped just to get cigarettes for me?You must be kidding.)
Me : 3ayza ashoof.
Him: Tishoofi eh?
Me : Can you actually smoke a cigarette? Have never seen you do it.

He gave me a speaking glance but took the lighted cigarette from me. I lit another one for myself. Turns out that he does know how to smoke after all. We smoked a couple more. Then decided to quit. So we threw away the pack and went home.

We made love. Very sweet. Afterwards, he fell asleep in my arms. I just lay there, holding him & staring at the clock. Sleep came gradually. Which was nice. I could feel myself unwinding, getting drowsier & drowsier. And believe me after 48 hrs of wakefulness that's a sensation you enjoy a lot. Was aware of the moment when my entire system had shut down & all I needed to do was close my eyes. I fell asleep kissing the top of his head. Weird that. His hair was getting in my mouth & tickling my nose. Quite uncomfortable actually. And I fell asleep like that anyway.

When I woke up, it was 11:00am. And I was alone in bed. Why didn't he wake me? He knew I had to get to work. At least I could have called the office. No show/No call is not my style.

Did call my manager. Was too tired to think of a lie so I told him the truth. He was quiet then he said that if I'd had enough rest, he'd like me to come in for a couple of hours to attend a meeting. What could I say?


Tonight we stayed in. Neither of us felt like going out. He went to bed fairly early & am doing my best to keep from disturbing him. And what about me? Well, it's almost 2:00am & am still up. Could be because I slept during the day & just need to re-adjust my internal clock. Or it could be that the attack of insomnia is not yet over. Either way, I got 5 hrs of sleep today. I can survive for a couple of days on that.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Forsoothsayer said...

mhayis and mhartil mean something along the lines of delirious/confused/talking shit.

i can't believe you used the phrase "making love", dude :) i don't think i could ever bring myself to do so. 7elwa minnik.

1/09/2007 03:18:00 AM  
Blogger LouLou said...

forsooth,

Thanks for the translation.

As for 'making love', sometimes you make love, sometimes you have sex & sometimes you sleep together. They all mean different things to me.:)

1/09/2007 08:39:00 AM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

loulou, i couldn't agree more w/ the different meanings... so true. they mean different things to me as well.

1/09/2007 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger Alina said...

Lou, you have a great husband and you are all he could ask for. I am sure of that!

1/09/2007 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Mumbo Jumbo said...

Loulou, just dropped by to say happy new year and alf mabrouk on your new car.

After reading your earlier post (about the anniversary, the surprise present, and sex in the backseat), I told my husband, demanding something more than flowers and a night on the town- he read it and said , "Ya salam. I can give you sex any time, ya habibti." :)

Rabena yekhaleeko le b3ad.

By the way, I loved your comment on the different meanings of making love, having sex and sleeping together. I agree 100%.

1/09/2007 02:31:00 PM  
Blogger Forsoothsayer said...

cuteness! yeah, i agree with u, i just can't USE the phrase making love. am not in touch with my mushy side like that.

1/10/2007 03:08:00 AM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Yeah I guess it is mushy. But that's unavoidable really because we're like that, me & him. Either at daggers drawn or mushy. We haven't yet managed to find that fabled, harmonious equilibrium of domestic contentment & stability so we keep going from one extreme to the other. I wonder why? You think maybe one year of marriage is not long enough to settle down?

1/10/2007 05:14:00 PM  
Blogger Safiya Outlines said...

I'm glad you got some sleep, alhamdulilah and that you have such an understanding husband. :)

1/11/2007 03:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home