Monday, October 24, 2005

Random Thoughts On Faith

1) Love to wake up at dawn to my father's voice reading Qura'an. There are a lot of Sheikhs with great voices out there. And I do enjoy some of them. But my father remains my favorite reader - much closer to the heart than a CD or the radio or TV or even the Imam at the mosque.

2) Ramadan is the month of giving but unfortunately I've come to hate standing infront of the Red Crescent desk at the Co-op or the mall & being asked to choose between an orphan or a dying child or a sick person or whatever. Between victims of an earthquake or a hurricane or a famine or war refugees. Like choosing from a menu at some restaurant.How am I supposed to choose when everyone apparently has the same needs?What's the basis for choosing?Race?No basis I really feel comfortable with.I always end up standing undecided for a long time & then leaving with a sense of dissatisfaction, feeling like I've abandoned someone. Like giving someone & preferring them over others is somehow depriving the others. Am I the only one who feels this way?I mean I don't want to be asked these questions. I just want to give money for charity & know that it's being put to good use without having to deal with any choices or decisions and feeling responsible for anything.

3) Why do some people think that zikr is 7aram?I really don't get this. It's something I see a lot here in UAE. That zikr or nasheed is bid3a. In Morocco the mosques are never silent - especially in Ramadan. In between prayers you hear zikr or nasheed coming from them all the time. I always notice this when visiting back home. You never walk past a silent mosque no matter what time it is.

But here they say anything other than Adhan or Iqama or khutba is bid3a?!

Sometimes at weddings I've seen people attend the music & dancing part & then run out screaming bid3a 7aram - if munshideen are brought in. I mean which is more 7aram?Singing in praise of Allah or singing & dancing to Ruby with members of the opposite sex - very often with women dressed not much more heavily than Ruby?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Al Sharief said...

Of course Zikr is not haram.

It's possiable that some forms of puplic zikr could be unpopular in some areas of the moslem World and hence doubted by some folks as Bedaa. I do not have any fatwa on the forms of puplic zikr.

Across the recent history of Moslem countries, the religous authority which is often hired by and controlled by the governments limit any other social rolles for Mosque beyond Adhan or Iqama or khutba.

10/24/2005 10:37:00 PM  
Blogger Nightlegend said...

Your intentions of helping every needing person is enough ,and it's not our capability as humans to help all the needing persons nor we were asked to ,you just do what you can and God knows that you wish to do more ,and that's more than enough ,but since you are feeling a sense of little guilt about choosing and fearing that this may not the right choice ,here's a quick solution ,you can pick up random charity filed each time you intend to help without thinking about it's details or circumstances ,cause you know that we live in a very PEACEFULL world so there's alot o people needs help and that will you make you feel more comfortable.

As for zikr ,I don't think it's 7aram at all and I am not convinced about this bid3a talk ,those are songs for the love of our Mighty God and our Beloved Prophet Mohammed ,there's nothing wrong with them at all ,actually there's alot of contradictions in the gulf countries cultures especialy in the religion matters ,here in Egypt you can hear zikr and tawashee7 everywhere almost without any one cursing you or accusing you of plasphemy of any kind.

10/25/2005 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Wonderer said...

Concerning your post of "ZIKR" ... That is really strange. I've never heard that Zikr is 7aram. What is wrong with a song that praises God and the Prophet?!!! I really don't like it when some ppl are taking Islam to the extreme. I once invited a girl to my wedding party and she refused saying it is a bed3a!!!! Also the same thing happened when I invited another girl to my Birthday party!!!!

10/26/2005 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Rabena yekhaleelek your father :-)

I end up giving a little to each cause... also because I can't really choose...I feel better giving "a little" to everyone in need....but I do get messed up sometimes to tell the truth...

PS. My dad loves Morrocan anasheed (listens to them on the Morrocan satellite channel sometimes)

10/27/2005 12:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home