Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Tagged: 5 Random Things About Me

Tagged by roora.

1) Have always wished for long, straight, pitch-black hair like my Mom's. Indian hair. She's got masses & masses of it. Mashallah. Instead I've been blessed with long, curly hair of some indeterminate shade of light brown. All I can say is the spiral curl effect is nice if you do it once for a crazy look to go to a party or something but to live with it day in day out?Have always been bummed by the fact that my hair appears to be the first thing people notice about me. Only last week someone referred to me by saying :"and who is this curly, bad-tempered-looking person?"

See that was at work. Another one of my problems. It's very difficult to look professional when you have hair like mine.Don't always look bad-tempered but it's true that my hair is so in your face. You see my hair first then you have to wait for my face to come out of my hair. If you're in a hurry - or am in a hurry - you never see my face at all. You just remember me by the hair.

The only good point is that when am embarrassed I have somewhere to hide. People will say come on come out of your hair.

If I could ever change one thing about my appearance it would be my hair. As luck would have it I ended up marrying someone who loves curly hair. So now even blow-drying is not a frequent option - let alone a perm. He gets this pained look on his face whenever I do anything to my hair - like he just swallowed something that didn't agree with him. Of course that makes feel great & wonderful about myself.

2) Am a middle child. Two older bros, a younger bro & a younger sis. Was an only girl until 14 years ago when my sister showed up. Have never forgiven her for taking away my queenly privileges & being spoilt by everyone instead of me. To add insult to injury, SHE has long straight black hair!

3) Am very competitive at work. I get really tense if someone else is doing better than me - even if I happen to like the person. Used to get pretty upset when other kids got higher grades at school too.

4) When very worried my hands get freezing cold & start sweating. Sometimes at home I go & hold them on top of the stove to warm them. When I was little I used to go to my parents & complain my hands are cold & they would rub them for me. Too embarrassed to do that now. Too grown up for it. So now I just dry them on paper tissues every 10 min & ignore the hypothermia. It will go away on its own usually when am calmer. Or I find that smoking really helps.

5) I talk in my sleep.


I am tagging Haal, Al Sharief, Charismatic Soul, Around the Clock, Zoss & Tota.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

Don't know why I always imagined you had long curly hair !! Don't remember if you mentioned it in a post before or where I got that impression from ... but it's just that when I read now that you had long curly hair .. it was like I already knew !! So what else do you want me to tell you about you ? ;-)

10/11/2005 06:13:00 PM  
Blogger doshar said...

the way you describe your hair i can almost see you

10/11/2005 11:07:00 PM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Good morning girls,

Meme can't remember but I might have mentioned it. Or you might just have intuition:)Or maybe I write like a curly person too?

Doshar,

I've gotten pretty good at describing my hair - given the comment it generates & the fact that it's always getting pulled by anyone trying to get my attention or joke with me. Kind of keeps it on my mind. And yesterday was a particularly bad hair day. So when I try to write 5 random things on such a day no prizes for guessing what the first would be.:)

10/12/2005 08:20:00 AM  
Blogger Al Sharief said...

Thank God it's "Random Things"
I may give it a shot in a day or 2.
Why Not?

10/12/2005 03:50:00 PM  
Blogger Wonderer said...

curly hair is really something, believe me:)

10/12/2005 04:36:00 PM  
Blogger Me said...

"Or maybe I write like a curly person too?"

LOLOLOL !!!!!

10/12/2005 04:51:00 PM  
Blogger Twosret said...

I couldn't stop laughing about your sister having straight black hair that was halarious :)

Curly hair here too Loulou :)too many personal details about mine :) not sure if I want to share it in public :)

Now I have to imagine you like Mariam Faris decent version :) Ya3ni no gypsy no belly extreme exposure :)

10/12/2005 06:58:00 PM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Shayfa ya Twosret?Mama let my sister have the good genes:(

My sis is like the other extreme. Nothing will get her hair to curl.

And yes I do have Mariam Faris hair. Only the hair. Same color too. At least my natural color.It has about a million different colors in it now.

Only ever heard of Mariam Faris when everyone started saying that. So then I said meen Mariam Faris di? And when I saw her I thought oh no. She has her hair layered.

Would I ever DARE?Never.Would never dare to do that. Mine is all the same length because it's the only way to control it.Besides layering is supposed to add volume & volume is the LAST thing I need.

Would love to know the name & number of her hairdresser though if he can make her get away with layers.

Had a less than pleasant experience with short hair back in college. Hopeless. Curly hair is only controllable if you wear it really long because then its weight & the laws of gravity help keep it pointing the right way.Down. And with this type of hair you need all the help you can get.

10/12/2005 07:46:00 PM  
Blogger tota said...

oops :) sorry
i'll try to remember what did i say in that prev. comment .. ah i said that part of ur hands getting cold, just the sam happens with me & it gets me in funny situations specially when i check hand with someone .. speically my uncle in summer days ... he tells me why u r so cold, is it raining outside?!!!

10/12/2005 10:00:00 PM  
Blogger Wonderer said...

BTW, while reading your post, the first thing that crossed my mind was "Miriam Fares":)))

10/13/2005 03:00:00 AM  
Blogger Twosret said...

Loulou,

If you really like few layers you can do so (only few and keep the length) It worked for me because I used few products that really helped. After a long search here are some that works great.

Paul Mitchell super skinny serum

http://www.paulmitchell.com/site/subpage.asp?section=2,8,337,302

Paul Mitchell Gloss drops
http://www.paulmitchell.com/site/subpage.asp?section=2,8,337,164

Biolage Gelee
http://www.matrix.com/products/biolage/styling.aspx

This lady Ouidad is the queen of curly hair in the US :)http://www.ouidad.com/

Short hair is not an option for lucky people with curly hair :)

10/13/2005 09:43:00 AM  
Blogger LouLou said...

tota,

Yes cold hands will bring comments like your uncle's. I get it too. People ask me i7na 3aysheen fi iliskimo?

It's so hot here so people get really surprised when they shake hands and you're freezing.

And people will ask me do you want us to lower the AC?But it has nothing to do with the AC.

10/14/2005 12:05:00 AM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Twosret,

Thanks a lot for the links. Very sweet of you.

10/14/2005 12:06:00 AM  
Blogger LouLou said...

wonderer,

"curly hair is really something, believe me:)"

Curly hair is just so high maintenance. Bas el7amdullilah I really shouldn't complain. I could have been born with an arm or a leg missing right?

And K likes it so I guess the picture is not all black.

10/14/2005 12:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home