Monday, October 31, 2005

Born Again

One of the things I love about my job is the feeling I get the day one of our projects is released into production. Looking at the finished product I feel like a genius. And of course there is the relief. We actually managed to deliver something on time. And it works!It's like being born again, surviving a near-death experience. Almost a religious experience.

Wouldn't have thought so this morning. At 7:00am there I was sitting in my office half-asleep desperately trying to debug a data conversion & installation package which was supposed to be working just fine the day before. The guy in the office on my right was on the phone. However being too lazy to actually pick up the phone he always has it on speaker. So like it or not I have to listen in on all his calls, business or personal. There are times when I appreciate this. Am a woman. I love gossip. But not under the circumstances. He wouldn't shut up & after a while CURSORS & INNER JOINS & LEFT OUTER JOINS were merging together before my eyes & twisting into this giant whirlpool of SQL that I was drowning in.

So I go over, knock on his door & ask him to keep it down. So he asks me what's in it for him. Forgot that bit. We bribe him to keep quiet. He'll charge you a chocolate or a cigarette. But am fasting, I whine. Tough, he says. He's not. I go back in my office & search my bag just incase. There is a pack but it's empty. Bummer. So I go back & try to ask really nicely. He says ok but I owe him a big favor. Jerk.

Peace. At last. Still it was 9 before I got the offending script to return what it was supposed to return as opposed to what it wants to return. And please no one try to tell me code doesn't have a mind of its own because it does. You have to convince it to give you what you want.

Decided to let it run one last time as a test. We had a meeting at 9. Came back to my office at about 10:30 to find that the package completed successfully. So I started typing some SELECT & GROUP BY statements to see that the right data was in the right places. Gotta love SQL. It's a neverending story.

Called the support guys on the customer's side to tell them we were ready to install. Was still worried they might not have the machines ready. Or the network configuration that was agreed. Or the server architecture that was agreed. In any of these cases the installation wouldn't work. Have had that done to me before. It's embarrassing because even if it's their fault, it's still your product crashing after you said it was ready.

But these guys were great. Two of them are really hot btw & today they proved they're not just dumb muscle. Beauty & brains. Who can resist?

So it was a happy ending. So far. It's considered really good if the users still can't find a bug in your application after 6 months of regular use. We will be providing maintenance for a period specified by the contract. I think it's 18 months in this case. So will be keeping my fingers sort of half-crossed for the next few months but am optimistic.

So where's the catch?Other than that I won't be seeing so much of the two office crushes I mentioned above anymore?The catch is that now am stuck with nothing to do other than this. Just hope something new comes up soon.

Still - catch or not - I had a good day at work (el7amdullilah).

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Nightlegend said...

Glad you enjoyed it ,I liked the part about the code having a mind of it's own ,sometimes there is alot of unexplainable things happens like that ,especially in the IT field.

How much time remains till you finsih the other project? is it still too nasty?

10/31/2005 05:49:00 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

And please no one try to tell me code doesn't have a mind of its own because it does
LOL... yeah , sometimes it feels like it :D.
But I'm glad u're finally happy and satisfied :).

10/31/2005 08:15:00 PM  
Blogger LouLou said...

nightlegend,

"How much time remains till you finsih the other project? is it still too nasty?"

The latest deadline is the middle of November. Let's hope that's final.

Anyway am going on leave at the end of December so if it doesn't finish before then it will be someone else's problem.

Would feel much better if it finished though. Don't like leaving my projects for other people to finish.

11/01/2005 01:44:00 AM  
Blogger LouLou said...

rain,

Are you in IT too?

11/01/2005 01:48:00 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

YUP!
I can totally understand the stress you're going thru.

11/01/2005 01:07:00 PM  
Blogger LouLou said...

rain,

Welcome to the club!

I guess this is the most popular occupation on the blogosphere. From now on am going to assume everyone is IT unless they clearly state otherwise.:)

11/01/2005 01:15:00 PM  
Blogger Nightlegend said...

rain,

Welcome to the club!

"I guess this is the most popular occupation on the blogosphere. From now on am going to assume everyone is IT unless they clearly state otherwise.:)"


Yeah ...but I am on the temporarily unemployed side of the IT's staff ,hope that changes soon.

Where you leaving at the end of December?

11/01/2005 07:20:00 PM  
Blogger MoonLightShadow said...

LOL.. yeah, IT people are that popular :D

You know ya Loulou, the first thing that caught my eyes in that post even before reading was the SELECT and GROUP BY..and was very curious to know what was it about.

Totally agree, code has mind of its own, that's very true :D

11/01/2005 07:57:00 PM  
Blogger LouLou said...

nightlegend,

"Yeah ...but I am on the temporarily unemployed side of the IT's staff ,hope that changes soon."

I hope so too but no reason why you can't enjoy yourself while you're waiting. You should follow Chari's example.:)

"Where you leaving at the end of December?"

My wedding is planned for New Year's Day in Casablanca. So I'll be taking 30 days off work starting at the end of Dec.

11/01/2005 09:31:00 PM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Moon,

"You know ya Loulou, the first thing that caught my eyes in that post even before reading was the SELECT and GROUP BY..and was very curious to know what was it about."

Yalla it's your turn to post about your IT experiences & satisfy my curiosity.:)

That goes for the rest of you here who are IT. The only person who's been nice enough to do that so far has been programmer craig.(Thanks craig. I appreciate it.)

11/01/2005 10:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home