Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Men & Grooming Again

Yesterday I was reminded of this post by Charismatic Soul .

Had to go with K to his colleague's wedding. His boss actually. A really funny guy who apparently likes to get married a lot & have lots of weddings. But I digress.

Had to work late to catch up yesterday - because I wasted so much time blogging during the day & fell behind. Got home feeling really exhausted. It was about 6:00pm. Decided to sleep for one hour but didn't get up til 8:00pm. Was still feeling tired. K called to ask if I was ready yet. Told him yes just a few minutes more. That's one thing where am an unashamed barefaced liar. Saying am ready when I just came out of the shower & haven't even decided what to wear yet. Always do that.Saves so much grief. Why are men always on time?

Left home about 8:30pm. To K's place where he was waiting for me?Nope. To Paris Gallery - to get my hair blowdried. So that story finished about 9:30pm. Then on my way down from the hairdressers I walked into the showroom. Of course I had to check out all the latest in make-up, perfume, handbags(my biggest passion after watches). Bought a handbag.

On my way out of the showroom this time I was stopped by a saleslady who explained that they had a visiting expert from Make Up Forever giving free facials & makeovers. Would I waste a free facial & makeover ?Not me. So what if I already had make up on?

The visiting expert was male. A huge Frenchman with a ponytail & a very strong smell of cigarettes & men's perfume or aftershave. He looked more like a bodyguard than a make-up artist. It was a bit weird for me because have never had a man do my face. Had my hair done by male stylists but hair is different. Less personal.

Couldn't change my mind though because I already said yes & there were a few other women waiting for their turn after me & it seemed they were all going to be watching. Just didn't feel like making a scene.

It really was a strange experience. Very uncomfortable. When a woman is working on my face & neck & she compliments me on something it seems natural. But coming from a man it felt like he was flirting. And it was embarrassing having several people watching. Like getting caught kissing in public or something. Ridiculous I know. Was it me because it was a first for me?Was it him - not being very professional?I don't know.

The make-up was amazing though. But my final verdict is brilliant though they maybe at it, men shouldn't really work in make-up & facials for women. It's too weird.

In the car I emptied the contents of my handbag into my new handbag & finally headed to K's who was watching DVD's. So glad to see he knows better than to take me at my word when we set a time. Gave him the good news that I loved my make-up so much we have to stop at some studio to get a photo so I can try to copy it at home. He tried to convince me that he can take my pic with his own camera but no I wanted a professional one. He wouldn't know how to get a good shot of the eye-makeup. You can't trust a man with this sort of thing. Not unless he's French & has a ponytail & works for Make Up Forever.

So why did this remind me of Charismatic Soul's post?It was the pic she posted of a man being pampered by women. Some of us found it weird. For different reasons the reverse - being a woman pampered & groomed by a man - also felt weird.

11 Comments:

Blogger Wonderer said...

I don't know who is this "K" that you and charismatic soul were talking about but anyway he seems to be so patient:)) If my husband were in his shoes ...
I wont tell you what would have happen:)))

Anyway, I glade that you've enjoyed it.

9/21/2005 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger Wonderer said...

BTW, I like your way of writing and I've bookmarked your name:)

9/21/2005 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger Charisma said...

"So why did this remind me of Charismatic Soul's post? It was the pic she posted of a man being pampered by women. Some of us found it weird."

its because what happened to you is similar but the other way round, you were being pampered by a man :P
i dont know, but i find it ironic that the best hair stylest is a man, the best make up artist is a man, the best cook is also a man.
and women still demand equality. women must do what they were born to do first, and then think of equality *sigh
sorry loulou, off topic :)

back to the topic, i never had my make up done professionally, never bothered, but i agree with a comment you said
"Had my hair done by male stylists but hair is different. Less personal."
its very true, i would feel exactly the same way you did if a man does my make up and starts moving his hands on my neck and face to evenly apply foundation!

"I don't know who is this "K" that you and charismatic soul were talking about but anyway he seems to be so patient:))"

wonderer, "K" is loulou's hubby ;)
and yes, he does seem very patient :)

9/21/2005 02:39:00 PM  
Blogger Charisma said...

off topic question, can someone tell me how to put a link in my post with a header, like how you did here loulou with the link that leads to my post but with only the word, THIS POST etc. ?
i checked the bloggers help but all i found was weird codes :(
thanks in advance

9/21/2005 02:47:00 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Personally, I NEVER had a man do my hair or makeup....the first reason was I felt it was too weird before even trying it (now you've tried it and say it's weird)... and the second reason was I got veiled... so goes without saying that I wouldn't have a man do my hair or makeup :-)

9/21/2005 05:48:00 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Charismatic soul: to make links in posts all you have to do is copy the URL of what you want to link to.. and then for example when you write "THIS POST" in the compose box .. shade it and press a little icon next to the text colour icon... a little box will pop up and you'll paste the URL there ... voila !! your link's made :-)

9/21/2005 05:54:00 PM  
Blogger roora said...

I also didn;t like the fact that men making my hair, before wearing the veil , but I used to maybe in my earlt teens, the point is that we feel that he is not really touching your hair like strangers, he is doing something professional , like the doctors for example, but afterwards I just felt like as long as there is an alternative that a woman makes my hair then there is no point and then I wore the veil , so the issue was over.

For Makeup, i don't remember that I ever put make up at professionals, but 3even if I won't like a man to touch my face even if it was out of his professsion.

9/21/2005 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger LouLou said...

aroundtheclock,

This guy doesn't live here.They just had him visiting & giving free makeovers as a promotion I guess.

wonderer,

K is fine so long as he's waiting at home with his books & his DVD's.If he was waiting for me outside - at the mall or in some cafe it would be a very different story:)

But yes he is a patient person in general & much less irritable than me. For example heavy traffic drives me absolutely crazy if am the one driving but doesn't seem to get to him at all.

Charismatic_Soul,

He used a sponge for the foundation actually. The mini-facial was where all the action was:)

Me,

A lot of my Khaleegi friends are veiled but they still find it absolutely necessary to go to male hairstylists, make-up artists & fashion designers. If you look at Saher Dia or Elli Sa3b you'll find that most of their clients are actually wealthy, veiled Khaleegi women.

I think Khaleegi women don't consider men who work in these fields men. Just like they don't consider their chauffers or their house help men.

wonderer,

Thanks. Make yourself at home. Will visit your blog asap:)

Roora,

I had my hair done by men & it is kind of like a doctor. Very different experience from facial or make up.

But the things I've only ever had men do my hair back home in Casablanca or in Tunisia. Never in UAE. Can't believe UAE has become the kind of place where you actually need to ask if your stylist or make-up artist is going to be male or female! It wasn't like this 4 or 5 years ago.

9/22/2005 09:14:00 AM  
Blogger haal said...

Make-up-forever is cool. I like it beside Clinque actually. My hairdresser here in egypt is the dealer or something.

I do my hair with a male. Dont trust a female actually, sorry to say. Even for washing my hair, let alone the rest.

As for makeup, I did it once only with a great lebanese female artist and she was awesome. Simple and nice. Dont think I will go for a male. I was already conscious with this female makeup artist.

Yes, loul most veiled women do care about themselves. Where I do my hair here in Egypt, the salon is PACKED with munaqbat woman, going to the veiled sections and they get their hair cut by the owner of the salon, a male. So he is the only one who gets to see the hair. Not sure if this is another face of hypocracy or the hair dresser is really a doctor in essence.

9/22/2005 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger roora said...

Loulou, you know before i wear the veil , my mom used to argue me that I should go to a hair dresser (female ) ok i am showing off my hair but at least males should not touch it.

well about being profession , my friends used to argue me and say it is like " a doctor thing", but there is such a big difference, the doctors , you select the best regardless of the gender for your health , it is indeed something important and doesn't tolerate that you go to a semiqualified one for just being a female.
But making my hair at female hairdresser, as I believe there are many good ones in the well known salons.
I see if there will be a difference in how my hair will be done by male than female will not really count much , it is like you go in Egypt to a regula hair dresser and a really famous one.

9/22/2005 03:19:00 PM  
Blogger Charisma said...

"Charismatic soul: to make links in posts all you have to do is copy the URL of what you want to link to.. and then for example when you write "THIS POST" in the compose box .. shade it and press a little icon next to the text colour icon... a little box will pop up and you'll paste the URL there ... voila !! your link's made :-)"

thanks so much "me".

9/22/2005 11:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home