Saturday, November 15, 2008

Just stuff

On random guys who might have harrassed me at parties:

Him: That should have been me.
Me: That should be you what? Harrassing me?
Him: Looking at you like that. Thinking about doing you.
Me: K, we're in bed. Am having your baby. And you're upset because you didn't get to harrass me at parties? When you don't even like parties?
Him:Hmm...maybe you have something there. This is better.


On the fact that we sold my car - his gift to me on our first anniversary - on Friday:

Him: When things get settled, I'll make it up to you.
Me (crying): You don't have to make it up to me. You didn't have to buy me a car. I never expected you to. And I wasted all your money. And I haven't even paid you back yet. So don't sit there and talk about making it up to me. Don't you think I feel bad enough?
Him: Khalas, Khalas. Ma tday2ish nafsik. I won't make it up to you. I'll charge you interest. Just stop crying before you hurt yourself.

When I woke him up at night once because I had a nightmare that the reason my breasts are so huge now is that they're stuffed full of cancerous lumps:

Him(mumbling): Alf ba3d elshar 3laiki.

And he goes back to sleep.

Me (shaking him): Wake up. I am telling you I have breast cancer.
Him: L., you don't have cancer. Go back to sleep.
Me: How do you know?
Him: Because they feel fine to me. Ma kontish haskot ya3ni. Breasts don't just turn into lumps.
Me: You don't care if it's all cancer. You're just pleased they're bigger.
Him (sitting up): Ok, tell me what I can do to prove to you that I care.
Me: I almost had cancer once before. I have a history.
Him: 7abibi, you did not almost have cancer. You thought you had a lump and you didn't. You imagined it. That's not the same as having a history of cancer. You're fine. You're just pregnant.
Me: I was a smoker for years.
Him: Yeah, not the smartest move. Bas el7amdullilah 2dar wi lataf. If it will make you feel better niroo7 nikshif bokra elsob7.
Me: Ok.
Him: Ba3dain meen a2lik that I'm pleased they're bigger? You're pleased they're bigger. You thought you were too small. I thought they were just fine. I never had any complaints.
Me: Fine now or fine before?
Him: You know what? That's the kind of philosophical question......
Me (finishing his sentence): You don't want to deal with in the middle of the night?
Him: Right. Come on. Let's go back to sleep. Rabena yihdeeki.

And he did take me to the doctor in the morning. I couldn't have a mammogram because the doctor thought it might be risky for the baby. So I had an ultrasound which showed no solid lumps. No further testing is needed or recommended for the moment. Alhamdullilah, I don't have cancer.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger The Negative Girl said...

u are a crazy, crazy girl wa7yat rabbi, and your husband loves you like crazy :D this is a relationship to be envious of, i promise you :)

goodnight

11/16/2008 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger Bee said...

you crack me up! i just wonder sometimes if K was a blogger what kind of things he'd write about. i'm sure your story about your dream would come out slightly different from his perspective! nevertheless it's good to hear that you're well :)

on another note, i've been sick for the past 5 days and have been reading all my favourite blogs from beginning to end to pass time. can i ask - i've never been to UAE so i don't understand - why do you all spend time at hotels? like go to a hotel to eat, or to swim in a hotel's pool, or go to a gym at a hotel? or i could just be reading incorrectly and they're not hotels at all? very confused... would love to know though

11/17/2008 05:12:00 AM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Bee,

Only hotels are licensed to serve alcohol in Abu Dhabi. And so the best restaurants, bars, clubs all open in the premises of a hotel usually.

Also, most hotels are actually more like resorts. Most of their revenue doesn't actually come from the rooms. It comes from the gyms, the spa, the beauty salons, the seaside/poolside cafe's/restaurants/clubs etc....

Kind of like Vegas.

11/17/2008 02:28:00 PM  
Blogger Bee said...

hehe if you were in charge of advertising for UAE's tourism it'd skyrocket with the line 'kind of like Vegas'!

i get it now, thanks :)

11/17/2008 06:43:00 PM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

and here i thought bahrain was the only country being compared to vegas! nice to know it's dubai and not bahrain! ;) altho, you can go to restaurants here and get alcohol. it's served in many restaurants.

the hotels sound very much the same here. we also have resorts where foreigners and locals go to enjoy the water, fun, food, seisha... everything.

i think the pregnancy hormones are getting to your brain! ;) good that you went and had yourself looked at ... that way you don't have to worry.

it's good that you've stopped smoking. decreases your chances, significantly, of getting breast cancer. plus, if you breastfeed, that will also lower your chances.

i've cried over cars... but, it's just an object. it'll soon pass... but why do you feel you have to pay your husband back??

11/17/2008 09:43:00 PM  
Blogger Me ® said...

cancer marra wa7deh ? lol
b3eeed el shar 3annek :)

11/18/2008 02:06:00 PM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Why would I not feel I have to pay him back? Those were my problems, my bad decisions so why should other people have to foot the bill?

The next time I have money - which will be when I resign and get my gratuity - he's entitled to get his money back.

11/19/2008 01:06:00 AM  
Blogger Puppy said...

Hello LouLou,

I rarely comment now, but i do read your blog regularly, and i wonder do you know the gender of your baby? :)

11/19/2008 09:28:00 PM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

but it's a car he bought for you. why do you feel it necessary to pay back a gift, plus you're his wife.

maybe that's the sort of relationship you two have... just seems odd to me.

from all that i read, i'd assume the two of you have two separate bank accts and such.

to me, it sounds more like a business... w/ worrying about whose buying what and paying for what. why keep tallies like that?!!

11/19/2008 09:41:00 PM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Puppy,


It is too soon to know the gender of the baby. Maybe in another 4 weeks.

Um Naief,

It wasn't the car I have to pay back. The car was a present.

I went through a period of temporary insanity when I maxed out all my cards and got into a lot of debt. He was out of work at the time but still settled everything when I told him about it.

That's the money I don't feel entitled to. It wasn't a gift. It wasn't something he planned for. It was just something I dumped on him when he least expected.

11/19/2008 09:57:00 PM  
Blogger insomniac said...

honey, rabena maygeeb breast cancer... mammograms are not recommended for women under 35 because it never shows accurate results... and they are mostly not recommended for pregnant women... an ultrasound should definitely suffice, and trust me, it is reliable...

and just for future notice so that you don't panic, soon enough a transparent fluid can start coming out of them, it's nothing worry about... and later after delivery, when ur late with nursing (if you plan to nurse) or if you decide to not nurse, ur breasts will feel lumpy because the milk will be filling the milk ducts, massaging or pumping usually helps, depending on ur nursing decision... just take it easy on urself girl.... oh and i think a lot of fellow bloggers recommended that already, if you tend to worry a lot, get "what to expect when you're expecting"; it's perfect... and you can get "what to expect in the first year" for when your bundle of joy arrives... good, easy and very informative reads :)))

be well :)

11/23/2008 05:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home