Thursday, September 18, 2008

Blogging Symptoms

1) I don't know if it counts as morning sickness but for a week now, I've been getting up in the morning feeling very nauseous. Haven't actually been sick or anything - and it seems to go away as soon as I get up and start moving around a bit.

Have also noticed that it seems to return if I lie on my stomach or bend forward too fast.

2) I feel dizzy a lot - especially in the mornings. So much that a couple of times I've opted for a cab instead of driving my car to work. And I have really bad memories with cabs. Didn't appreciate the reminder of what happened last time I had to take a cab.:(

3) The nausea might have something to do with it but I've lost the appetite I had after I first found out. I can't seem to make myself eat much. I break my fast on water, a couple of dates, followed by soup and then coffee. Later in the evening I force myself to have salads or fruits and drink juice. Can't drink water anymore. It makes me sick.

If I order food, I only seem to manage a couple of bites.

My doctor wants me to stop fasting. She says I am a bit anaemic and dehydrated. I haven't done it yet because am not sure not fasting will help my appetite and it would feel too weird to miss 2 whole weeks of Ramadan. Have never done that in my life before.

So I've been faithfully taking my vitamins after Iftar and trying to force feed myself lots of fruits and veggies and drink lots of fresh fruit juice to compensate for water.

I am waiting for my next appointment. If the doctor is still of the same opinion then I guess I will stop fasting. Really hope I don't have to, though.:(

4) The sleeping sickness is gone. Am back on a maximum of 4 hrs a night - usually interrupted by frequent nightmares. The Return of The Insomniac. Which is sad because I've been so grateful for the effect all that extra sleep was having on my skin. No facial or regime of skincare has ever given me the skin I've had for the last month or so. Now the dark circles and puffy eyes that have been my trademark for so long are back with a vengeance.

5) My chest is definitely bigger now.

6) Have been experiencing pain in my calves if I stand for too long. And I noticed it makes the veins in my legs and feet stand out. Not very attractive when your skin is as pale as mine. It really shows. I just hope that permanent varicose veins is not a symptom of pregnancy.

7) No moodiness yet. Still riding that initial high.

My mother's been telling me that she never had symptoms either until 6 months or so into her pregnancies. Neither have her sisters. So it looks like no symptoms kind of runs in my mother's family. And by their standards I am in week 11 and I do have symptoms of sorts so I guess I am doing ok.:)

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Wael Eskandar said...

You're not sure you want to stop fasting because of Ramadan even though you're anemic and dehydrated and pregnant??? I personally think it's a little selfish of you to have your unborn child suffer just because you want to fast. If anything, it's the opposite of being pious. Will you force your child not to eat when it's born next year in Ramadan too? Please do remember that at this point you're responsible for two people not just one, and while you may gladly suffer, your child might not be so glad eventually.

And of course eating more throughout the day helps the appetite and increases your metabolism. Fasting helps diminish appetite, the body always adapts to the conditions it's presented with... Just because you're not sure doesn't mean your child should suffer.

And even if I'm wrong, why even take the risk?? I'm sure you can make up for it in several other ways that don't affect your child.

9/18/2008 02:12:00 PM  
Blogger The Negative Girl said...

You definitely need to stop fasting, it is absolutely harsh and selfish and irresponsible, NO fluids especially during your 2nd-3rd month of pregnancy especially when you've history of miscarry ?! Srsly?! Just becoz it feels weird to break a longlife tradition for ONCE?! Will e. is absolutely right in every single word he typed. And it is not about religion this one, I am christian and I am fasting throughout Ramadan becoz my best friend in the whole world is muslim lebanese and I love him so much that I want to provide him with some kind of funny even meaningless "support" if this is so important to him! So, seriously, you shouldn't have started fasting in the first place, come on! Pregnant women, patients and travellers are not supposed to fast. It is cruel, maybe you think it shows respect to God, but shows no respect for your body and your baby.

Come on, I'll be fasting in your place, promise, walaw? :)

9/18/2008 02:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

!!! you gotta eat, think about the baby!

i can't believe you'd take even the smallest risk when you miscarried before... i'm shocked.

9/18/2008 05:05:00 PM  
Blogger Just Jane said...

Lou Lou,
Try keeping some crackers by your bed and eating a few before you get out of bed. It usually helps with the nausea. Anything with ginger does as well.

I am in agreement with the others--you must not fast. My midwife told me when I was terribly sick during my first pregnancy that the baby will take what ever it needs--nutrients, calcium, etc--from the mother's system. You will be the one who will suffer. However, if your body is nutrionally deficient or dehydrated, the baby has no way to get what it needs. Then you will both suffer. That's why here in the States women who are dehydrated from morning sickness vomiting are given IV fluids.

Take care of yourself and your baby. Good luck.

9/18/2008 07:39:00 PM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Ok, ok. I will stop fasting!

But I never said I stopped eating or drinking! Of course I would never do that. It's just about staying up and eating at a different time of the day - the time you would normally spend sleeping. So theoretically the baby shouldn't be deprived because the same quantities of food and water are entering my system.

The problem is that when it IS time to eat, I can't seem to eat much. And I can't drink as much water as I normally would when it is so hot outside because still water now makes me feel sick. Have tried to compensate with other fluids and I am taking my vitamins and minerals as prescribed.

My next blood test - in a few days time - will tell if there is improvement.

And will this loss of appetite improve if I start eating and drinking in the daytime?

We shall see.

9/19/2008 12:19:00 AM  
Blogger The Negative Girl said...

Well this would stand if you had been sleeping all day long and living throughout the night, but since this is not happening, ya3ni you are living your life normally during the day, you go to work, clean the house, go shopping, anything, then your body needs food & fluids to keep going & nourish the baby constantly. I mean it is not an accumulative process when you're pregnant, it's not about achieving the percentages of folic acid or calcium levels that you absolutely need, w ba3dein khalass you're ok. It's not about that. Think about when the baby is born, it needs food every 2 or 3 hrs mathalan, which does not stand for adults, or isn't used anyway :) what are you gonna say, that eh ok i'll feed it once a day supplying all the nutrients he/she needs so it shouldn't be a problem?! Baby has its own needs and time and.. preferences :)

You need to stop fasting, no matter what results come out.

9/19/2008 05:19:00 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

wow no way...this is a crucial time for the baby...the baby is developing all his/her organs and body parts...it is not a time to deprive your little one of nourishment...definatly stop fasting and make it up later...i have not even fasted one day this ramadan..and i have no guilt about it...i have a growing person insided of me who needs food...i will feel guilty for the rest of my life if something happened to him because of something i did...and fasting for 14hrs is going to help..i have a life time to make it up..and if not then allah forgive me inshallahl..

9/19/2008 05:48:00 PM  
Blogger Puppy said...

Even Quran says u can stop fasting when u r pregnant sick and etc. so stop fasting,LouLou and take a good care of urself and the baby

cheers,
Puppy

9/20/2008 02:00:00 AM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

you shouldn't be fasting AT ALL when you're pregnant!!!!!!!!!! your baby needs all the nutrients... so you need to eat. hasn't your dr. told you this???? it's not harem for you to eat while pregnant during ramadan.. i'm sure you know this, so i don't understand why you're fasting!!

9/21/2008 04:00:00 PM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

ok, i just read your comment, but still.. you are fasting. you are still working, right?!! so... in essence you are fasting. you need to take food to work and eat at your desk. that's what i did during ramadan.... you have to eat. =

9/21/2008 04:02:00 PM  
Blogger Carmen said...

Geez! If these comments didn't get you to stop fasting I don't know what will!!!!

First of all, congratulations! I've been away from the blogosphere for a while and am really happy to hear this news. You're going to have a beautiful baby and he/she will be lucky to have a mother like you.

I know what you mean about fasting. I hate not fasting when I get my period, so much so that this year when I got it I just continued to fast. It's strange to stop something that you're accustomed to.

Follow whatever advice the doctor gives you. I've known several women who continued to fast, yet others who could not because the doctors told them it was dangerous.

Stay healthy and take care of yourself and your baby.

9/25/2008 02:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home