Wednesday, May 28, 2008

All Talked Out

Last night I talked too much. It has been so long since I got a chance to offload like that.

The victim was not a spouse, close friend or relative. Just a work colleague who is a good listener and a good conversationalist who was in the right place at the right time. And not even an old work colleague.

My car is in service. And so after work, I went into a coffee shop near the office and had them call a cab for me. A coffee and cake break seemed a nicer option than waiting in the heat for a cab.

Said colleague was already there when I walked in. He invited me to join him so I did. We started talking - about work at first and then from there onwards, the conversation seemed to take on a life of its own.

It's so rare that you meet someone you feel that happening with, isn't it?

We argued quite a bit. Mostly it was general stuff. But the personal undertone was there. Never actually specified or articulated but quite understood that we both feel the way we do about the things being discussed because of our personal lives. Even the uncertainty of neither one of us being sure just how much the other knows or may have heard, even that didn't seem to be a problem. No direct questions were asked, no particulars or details revealed. Not necessary.

My cab came and went. Almost 2 hrs later, I called for another one.

When I got home, I felt lighter yes but tired. All talked out.

Later at night on the phone with my husband, there was a comment on my uncharacteristic quietness. Didn't really have very much to say.

K didn't want to let it go. The more he probed around the issue, the less forthcoming I felt like being. Truth is, I was enjoying the long-missed curiousity and interest in me, in what I was really thinking and feeling.

The last thing I wanted was to end the suspense and have things fall back into the recent usual pattern.

:)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

check ur mail!

5/28/2008 02:25:00 PM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

would he have gotten angry if he knew you spent so many hours in a coffee shop w/ another male, talking about things - even arguing? does he get jealous like that?

my husband would not stand for it.

6/06/2008 10:08:00 PM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Um Naief,

If you asked me that question a year ago I would have said yes. He's expressed unhappiness with this sort of thing before.

Now I don't know. Maybe he takes me for granted too much to get jealous now? Or maybe he's got other things to worry about? Or maybe doesn't want to object because he thinks if he does I'll tell him he doesn't have the right because he left me and he doesn't want to hear that?

Whatever. I told him. And he didn't comment at all. Just changed the subject.

6/07/2008 01:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home