Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Obama

I wish Obama would win the US presidency.

I haven't been following the elections so I don't really know anything about what type of candidate Obama is or what his chances are.

But I keep hearing from all sorts of racists that America would never elect a black man. They do not say it to condemn America. They say it because they are so complacent in their racism that they simply can't believe anyone else could possibly feel otherwise.

I would very much enjoy the look on some faces if and when the most powerful nation on earth DOES elect a black man to its highest office. Maybe then they would realize how the rest of the world has moved on and left them behind to wallow in their bigotry. Maybe then they would know how truly repulsive these sentiments are.

I realize it would be irrational to expect Americans to elect their president on that basis. And I am not suggesting by any means that those who don't vote for Obama are racist. Many of them - I hope most - would probably have their perfectly valid reasons.

It's just that if he WERE infact a good candidate - and if he WERE to get elected, then I think it would be a great example to set and it would silence a lot of voices all over the world that should have been silenced a long time ago.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Wael Eskandar said...

The world is more racist than we think..

5/22/2008 05:41:00 AM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

it's NOT just the US that's racist.... it's everywhere! ppl in this part of the world are more racist than the US!!! look at how the housemaids are treated and indians... to name a couple... and look at how dark colored ppl are talked about and such....

sadly it's in every society and every culture.

i really hope that he's elected. my only fear is that some radical group will try to assassinate him if so... but, hopefully, that wont happen and he'll be guarded well.

and yeah, the US likes to portray itself as a little less racist than they are... but there are many there that are, but i've lived there most of my life and worked at many huge corps that are extremely racist. once i was outside my boss' ofc and he called me inside to look at this monkey outside... i went inside his office and he pointed out of the window... and there was a black man walking down the street! i about died.

5/22/2008 04:54:00 PM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Umm Naif where did you think the racists I was referring to are? I was talking about racism in the ME - where I live. I haven't been in the US in years. When I was there I lived in California which has got to be the least racist place in the world. Based on my personal experience I have no reason to associate racism with America. I just find it galling that if Obama doesn't get elected a lot of racists I know would feel smug and vindicated and justified in saying see? Even democracies are racist so we're not so bad. If - on the other hand- a black man were to be elected to the most powerful office in the world then they would end up with egg on their faces which I feel would be a happier outcome for me at least.)

5/22/2008 06:58:00 PM  
Blogger Sand-E said...

Totally irrelevant i'm aware but just thought i'd share that...I'd personally like to see a woman in power. Many other regions of the world have done it it's about time the US followed. I was all about zee lady of the pack until she made that speach about accepting money a little boy had saved to support her campaign. I've grown weary since then of supporting someone who would accept help from a child as a means to their end.

5/27/2008 07:04:00 PM  
Blogger Wael Eskandar said...

One cannot help but wonder (or perhaps just me) what the fate of Obama might be. He's won the democratic fight, but think about it.. democrats are more accepting people.. would be interesting to see how he does against McCaine, given that McCaine isn't even that popular amoung the republicans..

I wonder if they would kill him if he got too close.

6/05/2008 03:41:00 PM  
Blogger Um Naief said...

sorry... i think i completely misunderstood most of your post on this one! ;)

i agree w/ you then.

looks like he might pull off a victory after all... don't know for sure, but we'll see in the coming months.

6/06/2008 09:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home