Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Waiting On each Other

Him: Can't you sit still?
Me: Just getting your coffee. Geez.
Him: Ya sitti ana law 3ayez 7aga ha2oom binafsi. Momkin to3odi ba2a?
(If I want something I'll get it myself. Can you please sit down?)
Me: Tayeb law ana 3ayza?
(What if I want something?)
Him: Ana bardu illy ha2oom. Wana fi deek elsa3a? Dana akhdimik bi3naya. Inti ma tit3ibeesh nafsik khalis.
(I'll get it. Am always at service blah,blah,blah etc.....)
Me: What? Ya3ni am confined to a chair now?
Him: Confined eh bas da inti hatganini(You're driving me crazy). Bossi(Look) I want you to practice sitting still for 15 minutes. If you can't make it I think we have to get help at this point.
Me: You know these repeated references to my supposed mental incapacity are getting a little offensive. This is what I get for waiting on you hand & foot?
Him: Waiting on me leh(why)? Howa ana 3ayel(Am I a child)? La sama7allah mo3awaq (God forbid handicapped)? Ana 3ayez 7ad akalimu.(I want someone to talk to) Akalim el7eetan ya3ni(Should I talk to the walls)?
Me: Tayeb khalas a3sabak.(Ok calm down)
Him: Thank you.
Me: Ana maqsudsh adayqak(Didn't mean to bother you). Just trying to help. It's all because I love you. Wallah.
Him: We7yat abooki?(Really?)
Me: Yeah.
Him: It's not because you get restless & you have to be doing something all the time?
Me: No that has nothing whatsoever to do with it.
Him: Whatever.
Me: Why won't you believe me?
Him: Maybe because you wait on everyone?
Me: Do I really?
Him: Yes. You always take over & play hostess. If you can't find anything else to do.
Me: Does it bother you too much?
Him: Only when I'm trying to talk to you about something I feel is very important & I keep getting interrupted. I can't concentrate.
Me: Sorry.

Mama always told me that you should wait on your husband enough to make him dependant on you but not enough to make him take you for granted. When I asked her why, she said that we women have maternal instincts & like to feel needed.

So is he dependant on me or taking me for granted here? Because it's kind of true that I can't sit around doing nothing. And I am always jumping up to get things for people mainly because I'm hyper & I need a reason to move so I figure I might as well do something useful. I do it with everyone it's true. But when it's just me & him in the house the focus is on him so he gets treated like royalty basically. Not that he appreciates it or anything.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Leilouta said...

Hahaha...I used to do the same. Not anymore,too busy reading blogs :)

4/27/2006 02:10:00 AM  
Blogger Just Jane said...

It doesn't matter how much work I do around the house--Jd never really notices. Apparently at my house there is a magic fairy who does the laundry, cooks dinner each night, cleans the floors, and keeps the home tidy. We are so fortunate!

4/27/2006 06:29:00 AM  
Blogger Lubna said...

I love your ability to be able to write down conversations so beautifully:)

4/27/2006 10:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) maybe he is just used to do things on his own...fa cool..u enjoy being pampered shwaya..and let him do things...as for the hyper thing...it is a nature and sometimes one really can't sit still..bas still there's nothing wrong about that...coz when you are so drained...u will..fa khalas.

4/27/2006 10:52:00 AM  
Blogger maxxedout said...

After 29 years of marriage , my parents have taken the vow of silence .
It's a clever way for leading a peaceful life . If you don't talk , you can't argue "
احنا بقينا الصم و البكم
as my dad likes to put it !

4/28/2006 06:19:00 AM  
Blogger Wonderer said...

Believe me loulou, it is wonderful that your husband likes to depend on himself.
I did a mistake at the 1st year of my marriage. I was just like you, moving all the time, waiting on him, and I didn't have a problem with it.
The problem came later when I got my son, it is a hell of a work to wait on a whole family while nobody is helping.
Now I am always arguing cause I feel offended when he throws the banana peel on the kitchen table or leaves his used socks on the floor in the middle of the room.

4/28/2006 02:06:00 PM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Leilouta,

Oh well that's ok then. So long as you're reading my blog am happy.:)

Jane,

I guess you're the kind of person who makes hard work look easy.

Nora,

Thank you. I just have a good memory.

Nerro,

Yeah he does like to do things on his own. It's because he has his own way of doing everything & he doesn't want it done differently. Sometimes I think I get in his way. Like when he says that ever since I moved in he can't find anything anymore.

He's a creature of habit. If I want to get on his nerves all I have to do is sit in his place at the dining table. Or sleep on his side of the bed. It's so funny to see the patient, long-suffering look on his face when something bothers him but he thinks it's too small to mention.:)

Am the opposite. I would do the same thing in a different way everyday. And I hate routine.

Maxxed Out,

I'd die if I had to stop talking. Literally. Die as in deceased, expired etc...

Wonderer,

Well you trained your husband to depend on you. Now you have to retrain him.:)

4/29/2006 10:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home