Friday, April 21, 2006

The phone rings late at night. We don't have an extension in the bedroom & neither one of us wants to get up so we just let it ring. A little while later his cellphone starts ringing. It's his sister calling from London. She always forgets the time difference & calls at these crazy hours. I try to hand him the phone but he says no let it ring, that he'll call her in the morning. I have a niggling little doubt about that. I don't want to get into any arguments with her about why he doesn't call her or why he didn't pick up the phone. She can't get rid of the idea that I'm constantly scheming to seperate him from them(his family) & control him etc.....

When I get up for work on Thursday morning I go into the living room to check the caller ID. Yep it was her on the landline. At 2:00am. I go back into the bedroom & tell him 7abibi please don't sleep all day & forget to call her. He mumbles something unintelligible & I know he will infact sleep all day.

When I get home from work he's still sleeping. I knew it. I check the caller ID again & find a call from her. Then I check his cell & there's 2 missed calls. So she called 3 times. Now am starting to panic.

I try to shake him awake. Which results in a wrestling, tickling match & I forget about her for a while. Until he tells me that he's going up to the pool for a swim. I tell him I think you should call your sister, that she called not less than 5 times in less than 24 hrs, that there might be some emergency. He says he will.

I go into the bathroom for my customary end-of-the-working-week bath, hair treatment, personal pampering & grooming session. By now, he knows better than to interrupt me or try to get me to hurry up. He even puts on my music for me on his way out.

When I come out not less than 2 hrs later he's not around so I figure he's still up on the roof. I make some fresh strawberry juice with lots of ice. Then I take the pitcher & two glasses up with me.

Sometimes I think me & him are the only two people in the building who actually use the pool. Don't know why. I hardly ever see anyone else there. Except this time I find him sitting on the edge of the pool talking to 3 STUNNING blondes in 3 even more stunning bikinis. So where did they come from?

Upon closer inspection it turns out that only one of them actually deserves to be called stunning. The others weren't stunning - just naked. One of them - not the stunning one - just moved into the bldg a couple of floors on top of us. The others are her friends. They all work in airlines. Doing what exactly?

They were very sweet actually. All Arabs. From Lebanon, Tunisia & Syria. I decide I can trust him alone with them while I go downstairs & get juice for everyone. We sit up there talking to them for a while. I forget how long but the weather gets kind of hot so we go back downstairs & he remembers to tell me that his sister is coming later today(Friday).

I'm so freaked out about her that he's off the hook about the 3 blondes.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Just Jane said...

I have the opposite problem. Jd's sisters and mother all say they will visit, give us vague dates, then back out at the last minute. So then it is up to us to make the trip to see them (nearly half a day's drive) with two young children. Annoying.

4/21/2006 05:35:00 PM  
Blogger Sayed said...

Haha! I love it! Sounds like it was calculated.

Thank K for the idea, I'm sure it'll come in handy ;)

...now to find three blondes.

4/21/2006 09:27:00 PM  
Blogger Leilouta said...

A Tunisian blond ?Wow!! We don't have many of those. She must be a fake one:)
I am your opposite. I hate answering phones and I always leave it ringing. My husband is always following me asking me if I called all those people who called me. I tell him to not worry about it, but he doesn't care.Sometimes, I mute the volume of all the phones in the house without him knowing. I love it.

4/21/2006 10:50:00 PM  
Blogger Alina said...

You are right Lou, his sister comming is much more important than the three blonds :) I only saw K sister in my vacation in Istanbul. She's very nice, just like the rest of their family. But on his mother's bday I did have to remind him to call her...Guys! :D

4/22/2006 09:48:00 AM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Jane,

You're right. It is annoying that you're the one who is always expected to visit. But look on the bright side at least Jd's family is harmless. K's sister hates me.

Alb Sayed,

"Haha! I love it! Sounds like it was calculated."

*Rolls eyes* Men:)

leilouta,

You mean fake blonde or fake 'Toonsia'?She's the stunning one btw. Am so glad she's not the one who moved in. I don't think my marriage could withstand a next-door neighbor like her.:)

Yasmina,

Hey there!

My sis-in-law hates me. She hasn't forgiven me yet for not being Egyptian. She thinks North Africans have no morals because Morocco is 'full of Jews' & Tunisia has 'abolished Islam'. When I asked her where she heard that she said at the mosque in London. Now I believe everything I heard about British mosques.

She's extremely worried that when he & I have kids they will not have the right accent(Egyptian) cos we Moroccans have no culture since it was destroyed by the French & now we say 2 words in Arabic & the rest is French. And she doesn't want nieces or nephews who do that.

Alina,

Yes guys are terrible with these things. And K's sister always blames me if he fails to get in touch which he always does. That is despite the fact that according to him he's much better at keeping touch now with me nagging at him than he was before. But do I get any gratitude?Not from her.

His parents are very sweet though thank God. I'd love to have them anytime.

4/22/2006 11:52:00 AM  
Blogger Forsoothsayer said...

but you guys do speak two words in arabic and the reat in french! well, i don't know what you personally do, but moroccans do. anyway, all the half egyptian ekids i know have developed egyptian accents just fine and your sister in law shold be slapped with a rotten fish in any case. if her brother had married an egyptian he'd be in a hell he knows not of (although I'M very nice :))

4/22/2006 11:27:00 PM  
Blogger LouLou said...

Yasmina,

Good luck with your bro-in-law. I remember reading about him in your blog & not liking him much.

forsooth,

"but you guys do speak two words in arabic and the reat in french!"

It's true. That's not because Moroccans have no culture because we DO. We grew up using Arabic only to pray & read Quran & other religious stuff not to speak or to write.

And it's also true that:

1) Her brother was informed of this BEFORE he married me not after. It's not like I lied to him or anything.

2) His ex was an Iranian. I demand to be given credit for at least UNDERSTANDING Arabic & speaking 2 words out of every sentence. This way at least he can speak to me in Arabic & the kids will get a chance to pick up his accent.

3) I have yet to see ANY of her kids speak a word in Arabic. They all speak English like Brits.

I hate her. Now I'll be too nervous to say a word to my own children - if her brother ever lets me get pregnant that is - for fear of contaminating their perfect Egyptian accent.:(

Btw I like the rotten fish idea. Am feeding her fish for dinner tonight. Will try to locate a rotten one to set aside for emergencies.

4/23/2006 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Wonderer said...

Rabina ma3aki ya loulou, she seems to be a hard-to-deal-with kind of person. Just try to be nice to her and who knows maybe she stops being paranoid about the "who controls who" issue.

4/23/2006 11:24:00 PM  
Blogger Safiya Outlines said...

Have British Mosques really got such a bad reputation? The ones I have been in have been fine, Alhamdulilah.

So she doesn't like you because your nationality makes you some how unIslamic? It's pathetic how people try to put an islamic dressing on totally haraam attitudes like racism and superiority on the basis of nationality.

As for the accents of your future children, she must have a really empty life to worry about such trivial things.

4/24/2006 02:11:00 AM  
Blogger Sayed said...

"She's extremely worried that when he & I have kids they will not have the right accent(Egyptian)"

Please forgive the Egyptians Loulou, some of us suffer from a terminal illness, Egyptian Superiority Complex (ESC). Just pray we find a cure soon.

4/24/2006 05:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home