Monday, November 26, 2007

More Money?

Convo with the boss (C) yesterday at 10:30 pm.

Boss: These are the schematics we've produced?

Me : Yes. And all the floor plans.

Brief silence while he goes through them. Am getting a little impatient. I mean, is he going to go through EVERY diagram & drawing now? What time do I get to go home?

Boss: Ok, I think we're in good shape. And we need a write-up.

Oh great.

Me: We were not asked to submit a write-up.

Boss: (Looking through some more) These would be a lot easier to read if there was some sort of explanation.

Me: They're meant to be read by people who don't need a write-up to understand them.

Boss: Maybe but we want to produce a quality document. And btw, I noticed a couple of spelling mistakes. That's the sort of thing the client immediately picks up on.

Me: I'm sorry. I'll double-check all the labels. And I will draft something. Tomorrow.

Boss: It needs to be better than a draft. Before 9:00am please. Will we have time in the morning?

He knew I didn't. And no 'we' about it. It's not like he was going to do it.

Me: Ok C,I will go home & do it tonight. After having already worked a 14 hr day.

Boss: I thought I signed your overtime.

Me: Well thank you. But overtime notwithstanding, I do have a life.

Boss: Yes that is understood. And this is why we try to compensate everyone fairly for those times when they have to change their plans for operational reasons. Fortunately, that's not very often, is it?

Me: But what if I don't think the compensation is fair? Do I still have to put in the overtime?

Boss: That's a different issue. If you feel we're underestimating your hourly rate, submit a revision and I'll look at it. Meanwhile, the job needs to get done.

Me(Taken aback): Uh...ok, thanks. Good night.

Boss: Good night.

Effectively, he was telling me that if I want a raise, now is a good time to ask. Wasn't expecting that. I was being flippant & expected him to respond in the same way.

Would it be wrong to ask for a raise when I know I'm leaving in a few months time and he doesn't? God knows I could use the money. And of course, a raise would factor into my gratuity when I do leave.

But people get offered a raise around here to stick around if they're really needed.

So would it be fraud to ask for one and then not stick around?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Wael Eskandar said...

loulou, it sounds to me that the assumption that people get a raise to stick around is implicit, I mean it doesn't seem to be a rule, just an observation, therefore I think you can disregard it.

In my opinion it never hurts to ask and I don't think it's fraud since we agreed that the rule is just an observation. If you're only asking to get paid for what you do and since you need the money go ahead and ask. Only those who dare get an answer they want.

11/26/2007 05:31:00 PM  
Blogger Puppy said...

If it makes a big difference i would ask for raise. If not, why to get into that coversation, probably meetings if u are leaving anyways. That is my subjective opinion.

Good luck no matter of your choice!!

Puppy.

11/28/2007 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger bint alshamsa said...

Your time is valuable NOW. You are not under any ethical obligation to get paid less than what you are worth simply because you won't be there one day, no matter when you plan to leave.

Don't sell yourself short. If the boss is saying that he'll consider a pay raise, then I think that's a sign that he thinks you're worth it too.

That's just my two pence!

11/29/2007 07:21:00 AM  
Blogger 2B || ! 2B ® said...

go for it, it's ur right and u won't lose anything so why not :)

12/03/2007 08:06:00 AM  
Blogger That Guy said...

Holy crap....this is SO a sign....

12/05/2007 02:54:00 PM  
Blogger Carmen said...

I echo bint alshamsa's sentiments...go for it!

12/07/2007 07:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home